You have to see what you want to see, hear what you want to hear and then feel what you want to feel.
Believe it or not, visualising can calm your nerves because, in a way, you've walked through the process in your mind before being there in person.
A visualisation can be done at any time when you have five minutes to shut your eyes and sit still, without any distractions.
If you have never visualised before, in particular, with interview visualising, then here are 10 steps to guide you.
1. Turn off your mobile phone, close your laptop. Find some space just for yourself where you won't be disturbed.
2. See the interview location and where you are going. You don't have to know the exact location, but you have researched it enough to feel confident about getting there. You see the door, your imagine the room and the atmosphere you will be entering.
3. Your clothes are all ready, you feel happy with your decision on what to wear. Smart, Casual, Comfortable.
4. See yourself waking up on the morning of the interview, you eat your breakfast/lunch as normal. [If you're feeling nervous and not hungry, then it is important to keep a snack handy - say a banana or another piece of fruit - definitely a bottle of water)
5. With your eyes closed, take the journey, whether you're driving or going via public transport. Imagine it happening smoothly, with no disruptions. Visualise the actual route you'll take.
6. You arrive at reception for your allotted time and you introduce yourself - you're invited to take a seat.
7. As you sit calmly, you read over any notes you have made, questions you'd like to ask.
8. Your interviewer approaches you, you stand up, calmly shake hands and introduce yourself.
9. As you walk with them, you feel assured, confident and positive.
10. Open your eyes, feeling calm, confident and courageous.
See this whole process unfold before your eyes. You may find it helpful to record these 10 steps on your mobile phone to listen back when you have 5 minutes to visualise your successful interview.
Wishing you the best of luck with your interview.
It's CTL's Open Day this Saturday at 11am - 2pm
Find out about the Basic Counselling Course, Level 3 Certificate or Level 4 Diploma in September 2015.
Remember you can also register for the Basic Counselling Course which starts on the 23rd of July.
The course will be delivered every Thursday evening from 6.15pm - 9.15pm.
Click here to read more about this course.