Let's start from the fundamentals: The BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) have defined Counselling :-
Counselling and psychotherapy are umbrella terms that cover a range of therapies. They are delivered by trained practitioners who work with people over a short or long term to help them bring about effective change or enhance their wellbeing.
If you have experienced a COUNSELLING session, you know that ADVICE and GUIDANCE are not used.
- Counselling offers you the opportunity to be in a safe and confidential relationship with your counsellor so that you discover and reconnect with your true self.
- It is a two way exchange that enables you to explore your problems safely and in confidence.
- Counselling helps you to understand the problem.
- It assists you to either resolve the problem or come to terms with it.
- Counselling is a facilitative process.
You have a probably been in situations when ADVICE is being given to you:
- Getting advice often gives you someone else's opinion.
- It offers information, that is accurate and current (hopefully!)
- It widens your choice by informing you of your rights and options.
- It gives recommendations and suggestions.
- Advice can often be persuasive.
We're talking good advice here - there is bad advice, which does none of the above!
Have you experienced GUIDANCE, perhaps from a careers advisor?
- Guidance helps you develop self-awareness.
- It encourages you to take responsibility for choices.
- It helps you be aware of and have access to accurate information in order to make informed choices.
- It offers you opportunities to develop decision-making skills.
- Guidance is encouraging process.
The basic counselling training course is not a replacement for seeing a counsellor; it is an opportunity to become more self-aware, to develop basic counselling skills and get a taster for further training courses.
You can read more about the course here.
Sign up to receive CTL News:
a bimonthly newsletter with blog posts relating to personal and professional development